The One by Kiera Cass
Okay so the Selection Trilogy has finally come to a conclusion and I have mixed emotions about it.
The One is out now (so before you read this, go run to the book store and buy this book then read it) and it means that it is time to say goodbye to the stories of America, Prince Maxon and Aspen. And the thought of this makes me so sad. I hate trilogies and duologies because when I fall in love with the character I hate letting go of them so fast. But on the bright side, according to Kiera Cass, there is going to be a prequel. The author recently posted an update on her website confirming that there would be a prequel and the title would be "The Queen: A Selection Novella". You could click here to see the blog post.
Now let us get started with the review. I am both happy and disappointed with The One, to be honest. And it also made me cry! I cried not because of happiness though. I cried because America's father died. I cried because of the letter America's father gave her. And I cried because I hate the way America's father died. If I were to choose or to write the story and he has to die, I want it to be in a brave and heroic way. In the book, it was just all of a sudden. Maxon and America were kissing then suddenly a knock came. A random guard brought the news to Maxon and he told her. America's father died because of heart problems. I just wish her father could have died in a different way, something like during in a rebel attack. Uh huh! I just said "rebel attack" because America's father is a Northern Rebel. And guess who's another Northern Rebel? Lady Kriss! I wish they were both given a chance to shine in this book as rebels, especially America's father. I am also sad because Lady Celeste died. If you haven't read the book yet and you are reading this, you might be raising an eyebrow or two on me. Don't worry she changed from being a diva to nothing but a sweet heart on America. She was rooting for her and making America happy. She turned out to be a Marlee on her.
I am also quite disappointed of America. I thought she was going to fight, I thought she was going to enter and win a battle by getting her hands dirty. But she didn't. During the attack at the proposal, she didn't fight. She didn't do anything. She just stayed at one of the safe rooms through out the whole attack. And at that moment that she was trapped in the safe room, so many things were happening. Some of these were, Maxon was dying, the King and Queen were in danger and the Northern Rebels are helping the castle guards attack the Southerners. I just wish she could have done something, I wish she could have fought because that's what we love about her, right? We love her because she is a fighter. *Sigh* I guess the world isn't a wish granting factory (do you see what I did there).
That would be the end of my babbling about what I didn't like in The One. And here comes what made me happy reading this book. I loved that Celeste had a change of heart. America found a friend in her. I am also happy that they are taking down the caste. Even though I hate that America did not fought, I am happy that she slowly grew into a confident and great person. And Aspen and Lucy found each other's heart. YES THEY ARE TOGETHER. I am totally happy about them. And since Aspen and Lucy are already a couple, Maxon and America chose each other. And that might be the best thing Kiera gave her readers (except for the America & Aspen shippers, sorry guys!).
All in all the book still has a good plot and story flow. It's just missing some action, surprise elements and some pizzazz!
And that's about it. I'm sorry if this didn't turned out to be such a great review, it's my first haha! But all in all I gave this book a 4 out of 5 stars. If you have read The One tell me what you think about it in the comments below.
That would be the end of my babbling about what I didn't like in The One. And here comes what made me happy reading this book. I loved that Celeste had a change of heart. America found a friend in her. I am also happy that they are taking down the caste. Even though I hate that America did not fought, I am happy that she slowly grew into a confident and great person. And Aspen and Lucy found each other's heart. YES THEY ARE TOGETHER. I am totally happy about them. And since Aspen and Lucy are already a couple, Maxon and America chose each other. And that might be the best thing Kiera gave her readers (except for the America & Aspen shippers, sorry guys!).
All in all the book still has a good plot and story flow. It's just missing some action, surprise elements and some pizzazz!
And that's about it. I'm sorry if this didn't turned out to be such a great review, it's my first haha! But all in all I gave this book a 4 out of 5 stars. If you have read The One tell me what you think about it in the comments below.
★★★★











0 comments:
Say what you think...